Listed below are over one hundred venues in the Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch area, from trendy clubs to church halls, pubs to village halls and hotels to youth clubs. Anywhere with a stage and a floor for dancing was utilised by managers, vicars, pub landlords, rotary club members, promoters, youth club leaders or impresarios to put on groups or small orchestras for dancing. The sixties truly was a golden age for live music.
45 Club / Samantha’s / Pebbles / Bumble’s / Canvas Loft Bar, 45 Poole Hill, The Triangle, Bournemouth
Charlie Downton, manager of local group The Sandstorms and his business partner, launched the 45 Club on 20th October 1964 with an appearance by The Jerks. Situated in the Triangle, a quarter of mile up Poole Hill from the Square, the 45 club was another establishment with access issues, as a steep flight of stairs ascended to the second floor causing many a problem for groups transporting heavy equipment. The club only booked local groups one of which, The Freewheelers, were playing electrified versions of Dylan songs months before Bob pissed off the folk establishment at the Newport Folk Festival in July 1965. Furnished with old armchairs and overstuffed sofas in dark nooks and crannies, the 45 became a favourite haunt for courting couples looking for a bit of privacy in which to partake in a spot of settee wrestling.
In 1967 new owner Louis Brown renovated the club and reopened it on 25th March as the psychedelic discothèque and live music venue Samantha’s, with a gig by Sounds Tres Nice. From 1968 the turntables were overseen by future Radio One DJ Andy Peebles. Peebles, a Londoner, came to Bournemouth in 1967 to study hotel management at the local college but got side-tracked into DJing and dropped out of education. After a couple of years he moved on to the Chelsea Village before joining BBC Radio Manchester in 1973 and then beoming one of the founding members of Manchester Piccadilly Radio. In 1978 he moved south to London after accepting an offer to become a presenter on Radio 1 and was the last member of the British media to interview John Lennon before his murder in December 1980. Peebles left the BBC in 1992.
In June 1969 Samantha’s became the short-lived Pebbles then Bumbles until its closure in 2010 after a period of decline. The premises stood empty until it reopened as the Canvas Loft Bar which hosts live music once again after a break of nearly forty years.
All Saints Hall, Castlemain Avenue, Southbourne, Bournemouth
Originally part of the parish of St. James the Greater, Pokesdown, All Saints Church was opened in 1913 after replacing a corrugated iron building. Its church hall was one of many that were used in the sixties for gigs, with money’s collected probably going towards roof renovations and the such. The church was given a Grade 2 listed status in 1976.
Badger Cellar Bar, Fir Vale Road, Bournemouth
The Badger Bar was built on the site of the old Grand Hotel situated in Fir Vale Road behind the Chelsea Village complex. The first pint was pulled on Tuesday 22nd September 1964 and in the seventies the cellar became a lively music venue for mainly local blues and rock bands. However, one outfit of note that played there on a regular basis was Arms and Legs from Portsmouth. Their keyboard player and vocalist was none other than Joe Jackson who went onto fame and fortune after his big hit “Is She Really Going Out With Him” in 1979. After many name changes the Badger Bars is now the trendy Vinyl bar (see below).
Barbarella’s, Stour Road, Tuckton, Bournemouth
Barbarella’s was adjoined to the Golfers Arms pub in Tuckton. Owned by Harry Stiller, it operated mainly as a discothèque but promoted the odd live gig in the late sixties before its closure. Apparently the golfers next door were not happy with the mini skirted dolly birds and long haired yobbos infiltrating their pub, plus the local bobbies got wind of underage drinking on the premises. Stiller cut his losses, closed the Golfers and Barberella’s and opened the larger Raceway bar that was distinguished by a Formula 3 racing car hanging on the wall. In 1986 the pub along with Tucktonia, a theme park which housed a large model village depicting the sites of London and other well known tourist attractions around the UK, was demolished and replaced by a new pub called the Olde Colonial which later became Bar Max. The site is now occupied by a large retirement complex and private apartments.
Barbarella’s, Lagland Street, Poole
Not to be confused with Babarella’s in Tuckton, this club was situated in Lagland Street, Poole and opened on Thursday 21st September 1972 with a gig by The Love Affair minus lead singer Steve Ellis. If anybody knows exactly where this club was situated please get in touch.
Blue Note Club, Gresham Court Hotel, 4 Grove Road, Bournemouth
Built in 1855 as a private residence, the Gresham Court became a hotel in 1929 after the addition of an extension and dining room. In the early sixties it was a popular jazz venue and home to the Blue Note Club. In 2009 the roof was completely destroyed by a fire, but it was rebuilt and reopened a year later as the Green Hotel which is still in business today.
Blue Note Club / Kosmo Club / Ridgefield Club / Star Club, Tralee Hotel, 76-78 St. Michael’s Road, Bournemouth
Built in the nineteenth century, the Tralee Hotel was the first boarding house in St. Michael’s Road on the west cliff. It was another home of the Blue Note Club in the spring of 1961 and later opened as the Kosmo Club in March 1965 with a date by the Jentet. Later it became the pop and rock hangout the Ridgefield Club followed by the Star Club. The hotel is now owned by the Travelodge chain.
Blue Note Club / Owl Club, The Burlington Hotel, 9 Owls Road, Bournemouth
The Burlington Hotel in Boscombe was built in 1868 in a grand Italian renaissance style. In its heyday, there were wide lawns with tennis courts and wooded gardens that swept down to the beach and a wooden boat jetty. For a matter of months in the summer of 1962 it was home to the Blue Note Club, then the Owl Club in 1964 and a rock and pop venue throughout the sixties. Its days as a hotel are long gone as the building was converted into Burlington Mansions, a luxury apartment block. The large Burlington ballroom below.
Blue Note Club, The Royal Exeter Hotel, Exeter Road, Bournemouth
The Royal Exeter Hotel was home to the Blue Note Club for a short while after the Burlington Hotel. The site was originally bought by Lewis Tregonwell in 1810 and it is where he built the first official house in Bournemouth in 1812, although The Tapps Arms and a pair of cottages were already present in the area. The original house was extended over the years and eventually became the much larger Royal Exeter Hotel. Over the years the Oasis Lounge hosted cocktail’s and smooth jazz evenings and in 1980, Robert Fripps League of Gentlemen played three gigs there before they disbanded and Fripp resurrected King Crimson the following year. It became a Grade 2 listed building in 1952.
Blue Note Club, Lynton Court Hotel, 47 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth
Originally a family run hotel, the Lynton Court Hotel was another home to the Blue Note Club. It’s now a Premier Inn.
Blue Note Club / Rendezvous Room, Highcliff Hotel, 105 St. Michaels Road, Bournemouth
The Highcliff Hotel, the final and much larger home of the Blue Note Club. It is where Zoot Money met drummer Colin Allen for the first time before forming the definitive Zoot Money Big Roll Band. After the Blue Note closed, the hotel opened the Rendezvous Room, a sophisticated cocktail bar and venue for intimate dancing to smooth jazz. The hotel started life in 1873 as four large mansions that were never occupied. They were taken over by a company that amalgamated the buildings into one large hotel called Highcliffe Mansions. After many name changes and renovations over the years, the hotel is now part of the Marriott chain. The original hotel below.
Beat Club / Cellar Club, Beacon Royal Hotel, 11-13 Kerley Road, Bournemouth
The Beacon Royal Hotel on the west cliff started life as a house called Glenfinnan in the 1870s before it became a boarding house called the Beacon Royal in 1896. In 1931 it expanded by subsuming the Mayfield Hotel next door. The Beacon Royal was once home to the short-lived Cellar Club and Bournemouth Beat Club where The Ravens with Robert Fripp and Gordon Haskell had a Monday night residency. In 1968 Michael and Peter Giles auditioned Robert Fripp in the ballroom prior to the trio leaving for London and birthing King Crimson. Shortly after it was renamed the Balmoral Hotel and is still in business today.
Bourne Hotel, 21 Bath Road, Bournemouth
The Bourne Hotel had a chequered past with several name changes and uses. Originally called the Knyveton Boarding House in the 1890s and then the Essilmont Hotel, by the late 1920s it finally became the Bourne Hotel. However, the name didn’t stick. In the 1940s it was renamed Rubens Hotel and then the Bourne Holiday Flats and Apartments ten years later, before yet another rebranding to the Bourne Vegetarian Hotel. Before it was demolished in the mid-sixties to make way for the Bath Road roundabout, the now shorter Bourne Hotel hosted jazz gigs on the weekends.
Bransgore Village Hall, Burley Road, Bransgore
The Bransgore Village Hall was the scene of many gigs and a rehearsal space for The Trappers featuring Al Stewart on guitar. The hall is still standing and was extended in 2006.
Calypso Club / Monaco Rooms / 81 Club, 81 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth
This sophisticated night club became the Calypso Club on 26th March 1961 but then changed it’s name to the Monaco Rooms on 5th July 1962 before reverting to the Calypso Club three years later. The club promoted its first live music night on 29th January 1966 with a gig by The Committee. In September 1973 it became a nightclub cum discotheque called the 81 Club. It is now a sub-branch of the TSB bank.
Candlelight Club, Imperial Hotel, 1 Meyrick Road, Lansdowne, Bournemouth
Built at a cost of £10,000 in 1887, The Imperial Hotel stood on the corner of Meryrick Road and Bath Road at the Lansdowne. The Candlelight Club was a refined cocktail jazz club based in the hotel (the building on the far right of the top photograph) in the late fifties and early sixties. The Andy ‘Summers’ Somers Quartet with Andy on guitar (Zoot Money’s Big Roll Band, Dantalian’s Chariot, The Soft Machine, The New Animals, Kevin Coyne, The Police), Colin Allen on drums (Zoot Money’s Big Roll Band, Dantalian’s Chariot, Stone the Crows, Focus, Donovan and Bob Dylan), Barry Curtis on piano (The Nite People) and bassist Dave Townsend played their regularly.
The hotel was demolished in 1968 and replaced by the, unusual for the day, Roundhouse in 1969 (see below). In the basement of the new hotel was the Cave Bar, a subterranean den of iniquity which became a favoured watering hole for long hairs, dope smokers, undesirables and assorted dregs of society, not quite what the management originally envisaged for its new sophisticated drinking den. Despite regular raids by the drug squad and a general lowering of the tone, the Cave Bar flourished for around three years before the riff raff (which included me and my mates) were finally driven out.
Canford Cliffs Village Hall, 17 Ravine Road, Poole
Built in 1923 as a recreation hall for the servants who worked in the large houses in the area, over the years, the Canford Village Hall has been a meeting place for the Women’s Institute, a kindergarten, a venue for keep fit classes, jumble sales, whist drives, dances and functions. Village halls were utilised for live music gigs, much the same as church halls in the sixties, but few kept up the practice due to unruly behaviour, noise issues and drunkenness.
Cat and Canary Club, Broughty Ferry Hotel, 34 Sea Road, Boscombe Bournemouth
The Broughty Ferry Hotel was situated 400 yards from the beach and shops in Boscombe and catered specifically for families with children. It held regular pop and jazz gigs in the small bar and ballroom and was also home to the Cat and Canary Club in the mid-sixties. Trendsetters Ltd. featuring Michael and Peter Giles used the club as a rehearsal room when they first formed. The building is still there but has been converted into apartments (see below).
Cat and Fiddle, Lyndhurst Road, Hinton, Christchurch
Believed to be almost 1,000 years old, the Cat & Fiddle was built on the site of a Monk’s Hospice. In the 18th and 19th century it was a popular haunt for smugglers who were operating around Christchurch Bay. The pub became a live music venue in the late sixties, starting with a folk club, then progressing onto pop and rock gigs throughout the seventies. It is now part of the Harvester chain.
Cavern Club / YMCA Jazz Club, YMCA, 56 Westover Road, Bournemouth
The YMCA in Westover Road was built at a cost of £37,500 and was opened by HRH Princess Mary on 28th June 1930. Home to a jazz club before it was unveiled as the Cavern Club on 1st April 1964 with a gig by Trendsetters Ltd. and The Impacts, the YMCA was a popular hangout for music fans up until the early seventies when the venue was still promoting folk, jazz and rock nights. The building is still in Westover Road and remains a YMCA.
Cellar Club / Blue Boar, 29 Market Close, Poole
The Cellar Club was branded ‘The South’s Answer to the Cavern’, which is a legitimate statement to make considering the brick-lined, curved walls, low ceiling and claustrophobic atmosphere. That’s where the comparison stops unfortunately, as it wasn’t a breeding ground for Poole’s answer to The Beatles, but it was a hugely popular place to go and see up-and-coming groups. The club opened on 6th December 1961 with a double header featuring Pedro Harris and His Pine City Stompers and The Kapota All Stars. Robert Fripp, Gordon Haskell, John Wetton, Richard Palmer James, Greg Lake, Lee Kerslake and Al Stewart all played there in local groups early in their careers as did Rod Stewart with the Southampton band The Soul Agents. The pub was renamed the Blue Boar after it was taken over by the landlord Jim Kellaway in 1990 and it still promotes live music to this day, albeit mainly of the jazz variety.
Centenary Hall, 22 Wimborne Road, Poole
Built in the early 1930s, the original Centenary Hall was destroyed by fire in the 1970s. Situated upstairs in the Poole Labour Club, it was rebuilt in 2018 as part of a refurbishment of the existing club. A lively music venue in its time, the hall initially hosted jazz bands at the oddly named ‘Chinese Jazz Club’ opened on the 18th May 1961 with a gig by Terry Lightfoot and His Jazz Band. It’s strapline of “Chop chop velly velly good” would now be deemed slightly racist. By the mid-sixties it had become a thriving rock club and local musicians Robert Fripp, Gordon Haskell, John Wetton, Richard Palmer James, Greg Lake, Al Stewart, Lee Kerslake, Zoot Money, Andy Somers, Colin Allen and Michael and Peter Giles all played there before the bigtime beckoned.
Chelsea Village / Chelsea Bowl / Hard Rock / Stateside Centre, Glen Fern Road, Bournemouth
The site of Chelsea Village in Glen Fern Road was originally a large villa called The Firs built in 1861. In 1882 it became the Grand Fir Vale Hotel before the name was shortened to the Grand Hotel. By the time WW2 broke out in 1939, the hotel boasted three hundred room which were commandeered by the Royal Canadian Air Force for billeting purposes. After the war the hotel gradually fell into decline and closed its doors for the final time in 1960. By August 1962 the palatial Grand had been reduced to a large hole in ground (see below), only to rise phoenix like a year later as a large, ugly, concrete blot on the landscape housing a multi storey car park and on the ground floor large open areas that were made available to hire for commercial use. The first business to move into the building was the Top Rank Bowl which took over the basement. Consisting of thirty two lanes, it was opened by the Earl Mountbatten of Burma no less, on 14th May 1964.
The Chelsea Village complex took over the Top Rank Bowl and opened its doors for the first time on 20th November 1970 with a gig by the Scottish chart toppers Marmalade. Comprising of a large discotheque equipped with podiums for dancing, state of the art lighting and sound systems plus a licensed bar, a reduced twenty lane ten pin bowling alley, the relaxed atmosphere of the Angelique Club and a boutique selling accessories and novelties, the Village became the place to go and to be seen. Not long after it opened, the Outlook night club on the top floor of the multi-story car park, the Maison Royale cabaret cum eatery and Le Cardinal discotheque all came on-line. For a short time, Le Cardinal promoted live gigs in direct competition to the Chelsea Village next door but soon reverted to a discotheque.
Less than eighteen months after opening, the ten pin bowling alley was removed in the summer of 1972 and replaced by a stage and large auditorium initially called the Chelsea Concert Hall. During the next decade a number of name changes occurred as the Concert Hall became the Chelsea Bowl, then the Hard Rock in 1973, which then reverted back to the Bowl before the whole Village complex was re branded the Stateside Centre in 1980. A steady stream of rock acts such as AC/DC, The Sweet, Mott the Hoople, Thin Lizzy, David Bowie, Slade, Status Quo, Genesis and Roxy Music came and went but the Bowl really came into its own with the advent of punk, new wave and 2 Tone towards the end of the decade. The Jam, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Stranglers, The Damned, Generation X, Blondie (their first ever gig in the UK), Boomtown Rats, Sham 69, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Squeeze, Madness, The Specials and The Clash all played there and if The Sex Pistols hadn’t locked horns with a tipsy Bill Grundy in a drunken swear fest live on tea time television, their gig with The Damned, The Clash and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers would of taken place on Tuesday 7th December 1976 (unused ticket below). In 1982 the Chelsea Village closed and reverted back to a ten pin bowling alley. The site now houses the indoor adventure game Laser Quest (see photograph below).
Christchurch Town Hall, High Street, Christchurch
All that is left of the old Christchurch Town Hall is the Mayor’s parlour (see above). The site where it stands, was actually the third site after it moved from the corner of Millhams Street and then the corner of High, Castle and Church Streets. Originally built in 1745 at the old market square, the parlour was moved brick by brick to Blanchard’s Yard (now Saxon Square) in 1859. The frontage was added to over the years with brick buildings (see below) that housed offices and a hall that held jumble sales, various entertainments and in the sixties, live pop and rock gigs. The buildings were torn down in 1980 to make way for Saxon Square which was opened by the then Mayor in September 1983.
Club Rio, Branksome Hall, Guest Avenue, Poole
Club Rio opened on Saturday 31st August 1963 with a gig by The Tallmen. The building that housed the club, the Branksome Hall, was demolished many years ago.
Club Rondo, 64 Charminster Road, Bournemouth
Situated under Melita’s coffee bar in Charminster Road, Club Rondo opened as a venue on Friday 16th August 1963 with The Interns featuring future Shadow John Rostill on bass. The Rondo was a very short-lived club that never took off. The site is now a takeaway pizza shop.
Contact Club, Annunciation Church Hall, 218 Charminster Road, Bournemouth
The Annunciation church hall was home to the short-lived Contact Club.
Corpus Christi Guild Hall, 18 St. James’s Square, Bournemouth
The Guild Hall was connected to Corpus Christi Catholic Church and dabbled in live music intermittently.
Cuckoo Club / The Problem Patch, Ridge Hotel, 160 Burley Road, Bransgore
The Cuckoo Club opened on 1st April 1967 with a gig by Lisa and the Brethren. The club was situated in the Ridge Hotel in Bransgore and was operated by the same management team that previously ran the Ossemsley Manor in New Milton. A change of name to The Problem Patch occurred on 7th July 1967 with a six hour gig by The Chosen Few, Lisa and the Brethren, The Bossmen and the J. J. Preston Sound. It remained a music venue on and off into the seventies, but the hotel was converted into Woodside Lodge Care Home in 1983.
Domingo Club, 4 Albert Road, Bournemouth
Opened as a night club in 1961, the Domingo Club started promoting live jazz in May 1964 with Alan Kay and the Bluenotes. It is now an ice cream parlour.
Echo Social Club, 18 Albert Road, Bournemouth
Built in 1932 by Seal and Hardy, the impressive Art Deco building on Richmond Hill was home to the local newspaper the Bournemouth Evening Echo. It housed a social club on the top floor that promoted groups most Thursday nights in the late sixties. It became a Grade 2 listed building in 1994 and is still home to the Echo, although the paper has a much smaller footprint than in its heyday as the printing presses have been replaced by digital printing. Part of the building is now a bar and brasserie.
Empire Hall / Liberal Hall, 243 Blandford Road, Poole
The Empire Hall was originally built in 1920 as a utility building that hosted roller skating, wrestling and variety shows, it was also home to the Hamworthy branch of the Salvation Army. The hall was converted into a 400 seated cinema in 1935 and was opened by the Mayor of Poole. The first film screened at the Empire was the Shirley Temple vehicle Baby Takes a Bow. In 1959 the cinema closed with the John Mills film Tiger Bay and became a popular music venue in the early sixties. After a short period of inactivity, it re-opened as a music venue on 25th October 1967 with a gig by American vocal quartet The Drifters who were on tour in the UK. It is now home to the Hamworthy Liberal Club.
Epiphany Church Hall, Redbreast Road, Moordown, Bournemouth
Another church that dipped its toes into the uncertain world of rock ‘n’ roll. Future King Crimson, Roxy Music and Asia bassist John Wetton made his debut here with The Corvettes who also included future King Crimson lyricist and Supertramp guitarist Richard Palmer James.
Fairway Club, Fairway Holiday Park, Ringwood Road, Bournemouth
The site of the Fairway Holiday Park off Ringwood Road in West Howe was originally a gypsy encampment but was turned into a caravan park in the 1930s. The club house hosted live music most weekends in the late sixties and early seventies after which it was converted into a housing estate.
Ferndown Village Hall, Church Road, Ferndown
Dating back to 1934, the Ferndown village Hall was a regular stop off on the local gig circuit during the sixties.
Fox Inn, 16 Terrace Road, Bournemouth
In 1970, the new Fox Inn replaced the original pub which had stood on the opposite side of Terrace Road from 1830. The World Light Heavyweight boxing champion from 1948 to 1950, Freddie Mills, was born a couple of houses down from the old pub in 1919. For a spell during the early seventies the New Fox Inn dabbled with live music but it never caught on. The New Fox met the same fate as the Old Fox, death by bulldozer in the 1990s and was replaced by an apartment block. (The old Fox Pub below).
The Globetrotters Club, Lagland Street, Poole
The first gig at the Globetrotters Club occurred on 21st March 1969 with a double header featuring The Onyx and The Mystic Tangent. I believe the club was situated in the Globe and Crown pub in Lagland Street, but I could be wrong. Please get in touch if you can confirm this or shed some light on its correct location.
Grasshopper R&B Club, Halfway Hotel, 141 Bournemouth Road, Poole
Built in 1908, the Halfway House Hotel was so called because it was situated half way between the centre of Bournemouth and Poole. The opening night as a music venue occurred on Monday 16th September 1963 with a performance by Greg Lakes first group, Unit 4, in the Badger Hall tagged onto the side of the building. There was then a re-branding to the Grasshopper R&B Club in January 1964 with an appearance by Chris Ryder and the Southern Sounds. In the seventies local group Everyman had a residency in the pub and one of its members, Jo Shaw, went on to form Doll By Doll with Jackie Leven who regularly performed during Everyman’s half-time break in the guise of John St. Field. The pub now trades as the Grasshopper. (The original Halfway House Hotel below).
Hare and Hounds, 212 Windham Road, Sprinbourne, Bournemouth
The Hare and Hounds pub was owned by the Eldridge Pope Brewery but it was flattened for housing at the turn of the century. During the sixties and seventies it was home to a very popular Folk Club held in a room upstairs.
Hawthorns Hotel / Wessex Hotel, 11 West Cliff Road, Bournemouth
The Hawthorns Hotel was built in 1891 but changed to the Essex Hotel in the early sixties. Regular gigs and dances were held in the spacious ballroom up until its closure in 2017 when it was demolished to make way for apartment blocks and a brand new Premier Inn. (The Hawthorns above and the Wessex below).
The Hengist Club, Warren Edge Road, Southbourne, Bournemouth
The Hengist Club was an early sixties private members club based in a large house, possibly in Warren Edge Road. It was a restaurant as well as a venue for cocktail jazz trios and quartets but closed down in October 1962. Can anyone help with the exact location of this club ?
Holdenhurst Village Hall, Holdenhurst Village Road, Bournemouth
The Holdenhurst Village Hall held sporadic dances and became a favourite rehearsal space for many local groups over the years. In the early eighties the reformed King Crimson used the hall to pull the songs together that would become the Discipline album.
Holy Trinity Church Hall, Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth
Built in 1869, the hall connected to Holy Trinity Church was first used as a pop music venue in the winter of 1963. The church was deconsecrated in the late sixties and used as a Medieval Banquet Hall until it burnt down in suspicious circumstances in 1979. The church was replaced by an office block. (Below, before and after the fire).
Jolly Sailor, The Quay, Poole
An historic pub on Poole Quay. Live music never really caught on in the Sailor, possibly due to the Lord Nelson next door cornering the market.
Kinson Community Centre, Pelhams Park, Kinson, Bournemouth
The original house in Pelhams Park was built around 1788 and was owned by the local smuggler Isaac Gulliver. In 1930 the house and surrounding gardens were sold to the Bournemouth Corporation for the benefit of local people and during the war, it was used as a warden’s post and a base for the National Fire Service. In the fifties a new hall was built on the side of the house and the park was made child friendly with a paddling pool playground. The Kinson Community Centre, as it is now called, became a multi-purpose facility and hired groups for Saturday night dances from September 1962. The house is one of the oldest in Bournemouth and is a Grade 2 Listed building.
Le Cardinal / Maison Royale, Glen Fern Road, Bournemouth
Opened by the businessman John Yates in May 1971, Le Cardinal was part of the Maison Royale complex in Glen Fern Road. Consisting of the Maison Royale itself, a cabaret restaurant, Le Cardinal, a nightclub that could accommodate 600 patrons, the Roof Top Hotel and the Outlook, a discotheque and restaurant, the venues proved to be a hit from day one.
When Yates tragically died the following year in his swimming pool, Harold Walker, chairman of AFC Bournemouth, took over and hired the controversial DJ Jimmy Saville as an entertainments and promotions consultant. While the Maison hired middle of the road entertainers such as Roy Castle, Cliff Richard, Matt Munro, Helen Shapiro, Tony Christie, Frankie Howerd, The Bachelors and Kathy Kirby, Le Cardinal promoted rock and pop groups in the early days in direct competition to the Chelsea Village next door.
To overcome the strict licensing laws, every Le Cardinal customer received a scrawny leg of chicken and a handful of crisps in a plastic basket on entry, as a ploy for the club to class itself as an eatery and stay open to 2.00am. Another scheme to pull in the punters involved a free cake covered in sickly icing and a couple of bottles of cheap pomagne (a fizzy cider marketed as a form of champagne) for anyone who had a birthday that week. Consequently it became the done thing for a group of friends to take it in turns to have a birthday so as they could claim the free sponge and booze.
In the late seventies Dave Lee Travis was hired to cut the ribbon on a roller skating disco in the Masion and the reduced Royale Showbar attracted acts like The Searchers, Vince Hill and Bernie Flint. However, there was trouble brewing. In 1981 the police revoked their 2.00am licence and imposed a 12.00 midnight curfew because of under-age drinking, petty vandalism, yobbos urinating in the streets, punch-ups and general rowdyism and drunkenness (sound familiar?). It was the death knell for the complex and it closed in September 1983.
Le Kilt, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth
Adjoined to the Swiss Restaurant in the square, Le Kilt was the first discotheque in Bournemouth, opened in 1963 by the restaurant’s owner Jack Ashworth and his business partner Louis Brown. Although primarily a trendy and popular night club frequented by the hip crowd and switched on foreign students, Le Kilt promoted the odd gig from time to time. The club closed its doors for the final time in 1975. (The building today pictured below).
Linden Hall Hotel and Sports Club, 5 Knole Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth
Built in 1890 opposite Boscombe chine gardens, the Linden Vale Boarding House expanded over the years to become the Linden Hall Boarding Establishment. By 1911 it was known as the Linden Hall Hydro Hotel and was popular with swimmers and keep fit fanatics due to its large pool and sports facilities. During the sixties it changed its name to the Linden Hall Hotel. In January 1967 the promoter David Stickley moved from the Bure Club in Mudeford, which had just closed down, to the Linden Hall where he put on bands every Sunday night into the early seventies. The hotel was demolished in the 1980s and replaced by a large apartment complex.
Lord Nelson, The Quay, Poole
Built in 1764, the Nelson was originally called the Blue Boar but changed its name in 1810 in honour of Lord Nelson who died at the battle of Trafalgar five years previously. A very popular live music venue in the late sixties and seventies, it is still going strong to this day.
The Majestic Hotel, Derby Road, Bournemouth
The Majestic Hotel in the Lansdowne was built in 1939 on the site of Saugeen School, which counted Tony Hancock as a pupil. A popular Jewish hotel owned by the formidable Fay Schneider during the sixties, it was the home to the Majestic Dance Orchestra that once counted Andy Summers of The Police (1964-1965) and Robert Fripp of King Crimson (1965-1967) amongst its members. Although the hotel is still standing it went bust during the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. (The ballroom below).
Malibu Club / Santa Fe Club / Bonnies Club / The Hole / The Georgian Club, Crown Hotel, 23 Market Street, Poole
The Crown Hotel is supposedly haunted by deformed twins that were born to the publican of the Inn back in the seventeenth century. In the sixties it became a popular music venue when the Santa Fe Club opened in June 1961 with The Santones. The Malibu Club followed with a gig by The Nite People and The Bosssmen on 15th April 1967 and it re-branded to Bonnie’s Club on Saturday 17th February 1968 with The Karl G Sound. It then became The Hole on 4th May 1969 with Sunday St. Petersburg. The Crown Hotel is still trading as a gastro pub but live music is a thing of the past.
Memorial Hall’s, much like Village Hall’s, became popular with enterprising promoters.
Memorial Hall, 275 Christchurch Road, West Parley, Ferndown
Memorial Hall, Tudor Road, Broadstone, Poole
Memorial Hall, 231 Station Road, West Moors
Memorial Hall, Ringwood Road, Verwood
Memorial Hall, Whitefield Road, New Milton
Mudgees Place, The Whincroft, 576 Wimborne Road East, Ferndown
The Whincroft dipped its toe into the world of live music in the late sixties. In 1970 it became known as the strangely titled Mudgee’s Place and was yet another pub that was bulldozed for housing.
Neptune Bar / Trident Room, Undercliff Drive, Boscombe
The Neptune Bar and Trident Room upstairs, were situated in the Overstrand Cafe and bar complex opposite Boscombe Pier. Run by Bournemouth Borough Council, The Neptune hosted Pat Hamilton’s Soul Show every Monday and Friday with a disco and a live band. During the summer months local groups would entertain the holidaymakers and sporadically a big name such as Freddie Starr would headline a cabaret night. It is now part of the Harvester chain of restaurants (see below).
Oasis Club / Big Sound Club, Salisbury Hotel, 560 Old Christchurch Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth
The Salisbury Hotel was a grand building on the corner of Christchurch Road and Palmerston Road and next door to the Royal Arcade in Boscombe. The 35 bed hotel opened in 1890 at a cost of £12,000. On the 16th June 1964 the Oasis Club opened as a jazz venue with The Bourbon Street Six in the hotels ballroom. It became the Big Sound Club in 1965 but the hotel was demolished later that year. It was replaced by a bland low level building that now houses a McDonalds and the Riviera Bar.
Old Harry, 88 High Street, Poole
The Old Harry in Poole High Street was a popular music venue for many years but is now a bar and eatery owned by Butler & Hops.
Palmerston, 536 Christchurch Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth
Built on the site of an old coaching Inn called The Ragged Cat, The Palmerston Arms became a lively music venue in the late sixties. Over the years it gained a reputation for being a rough house full of undesirables. Name changes to Deacons and then back to The Ragged Cat failed to halt its decline hastening its closure in 2009. It is now a Polish supermarket.
Parley Sports Club, 275 Christchurch Road, West Parley
Parley Sports Club was founded after the Second World War by returning servicemen who formed football and cricket teams. By the mid-sixties the club house had become a regular stop off for local groups on Saturday and Sunday nights. The club fell into disrepair but has recently been refurbished and can be hired out for private functions, weddings etc.
Pembroke Arms, 29-29 West Hill Road, Triangle, Bournemouth
Built around the 1900s, the Pembroke Arms was home to the very successful Wessex Traditional Folk Club on Friday nights and the Free Express Folk Club every Sunday. Founded in the summer of 1970, the Free Express Folk Club was organised by John Dowell and the maker of Bond Guitars as used by Mick Jones of The Clash, Andy Bond. Over the years they booked Mike Silver, Derek Brimstone, Martin McCarthy, Martin Simpson and Decameron on a regular basis. Other regulars included John St. Field and John Culshaw who changed their names to Jackie Leven and Jo Shaw respectively and formed the hard edged Doll by Doll in 1977. The pub now trades as the Goat and Tricycle and has been a Grade 2 listed building since 1984.
Picardy Jazz Club / Scala Club, Picardy Hotel, 5 Meryrick Road, Lansdowne, Bournemouth
Originally a large villa called Merivale Hall, then the Merivale Hotel, The Picardy Hotel was the home of the Picardy Jazz Club which opened on Sunday 15th October 1961 and later the sophisticated Scala Club. The venue flirted with pop groups for a short time in the mid-sixties but reverted back to light jazz and lounge combos after it attracted a rowdy element. The building later became the Embassy Royale Hotel but was demolished in 2001 and replaced by Embassy Court, an apartment block.
Pier Ballroom, Bournemouth
The first pier was a 100ft wooden jetty built in 1856 which was replaced by a 1,000ft wooden pier in 1861. After it was damaged in a violent storm, the pier was demolished and replaced with a temporary structure in 1877. In 1880 the Lord Mayor of London opened a new iron pier that cost £21,600 to build. In 1950 the pier was reconstructed and ten years later a theatre was added with a café and bar.
The Pier Ballroom hosted trad jazz nights starring local bands such as Pedro Harris and the Stour River Band, the Gerry Brown Jazzmen, the Bourbon Street Six and the Original Downtown Syncopators throughout the sixties, despite the downturn in popularity of trad nationally. It was also a regular venue for the popular local folk group Sinnermen and Sara. During the summer, the pier was the embarkation point for the Jazz and Twist Boat. Advertised as, “A Starlight Cruise for young and old along the spectacular Dorset coastline with continuous bar and buffet” the cruises took place on the Embassy paddle steamer (See photograph above). (Below, the pier ballroom and café today)
Pinecliff Hotel / Malt and Hops / Brewhouse & Kitchen, 147 Parkwood Road, Bournemouth
The Pinecliff Hotel in Southbourne originally opened a Beat Club on 18th January 1964 with a gig by The Diamonds. Over the years it became a hugely popular music venue until its closure in 2009 when it was trading as the Malt & Hops. The building stood empty for seven years before a refurbishment by the Brewhouse & Kitchen chain in 2016 brought it back to life.
Poole College Hall, North Road, Poole
The grey building in the centre of the photograph housed a large hall with a spacious, well equipped stage. In the late sixties and early seventies the college’s student union hosted gigs by high profile bands such as The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart, Hawkwind, The Groundhogs, Amen Corner, The Pretty Things, The Edgar Broughton Band, Caravan and Juicy Lucy. The North Road campus is still part of Bournemouth and Poole University.
Portman Hotel, 97 Ashley Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth
The home of a folk club and rock gigs in the green room tagged on the left of the pub. It was also a well used band rehearsal space. The pub was converted into flats in 2019.
Potters Arms, 1927 Blandford Road, Poole
A popular stop off on the local circuit for pop, rock and jazz bands. The pub closed in 2015 and was demolished to make way for an apartment block.
Quarterdeck Bar, The Promenade, East Beach, Undercliff Drive, Bournemouth
The Quaterdeck was owned by the Bournemouth Corporation Beach Catering Service and served up warm lager, watered down beer and entertainment in the summer months for sunburnt holidaymakers. Local groups had to pass an audition to gain a residency lasting from the Easter weekend through to the beginning of September when the kids went back to school. It is now a Harry Ramsden’s fish and chip restaurant.
The Regency Club, 1 High Street, Christchurch
The Regency was the first night club to open in central Christchurch after gaining an alcohol and dancing licence plus a special hours certificate in June 1962. The premises were small and situated in the High Street above the Halifax Building Society adjoining the Fountain Hotel. The club was in existence for a couple of years under the manager Robin Green before closing down. The upstairs of the building is now occupied by an architects, hairdressers and a structural engineers office, downstairs is a convenience store and a mortgage company (see below). (Thank you to Howard Cutler for information and the above photograph from 1962).
Richmond Room, Norfolk Royale Hotel, Richmond Hill, Bournemouth
In the 1870s, two large villas originally built by Sir George Tapps and his son Sir George William Tapps-Gervis were amalgamated to make Stewarts Hotel. The hotel was renamed the Norfolk Royale Hotel in 1910 in honour of the current Duke of Norfolk and in 1974 the building was granted a Grade 2 listed status. Mainly home to smooth jazz and music for intimate dancing in the hotel’s Richmond Room, the odd pop group, usually of a country variety e.g. Wild Country, The Cincinnati Hog Farm, snuck under the radar from time to time.
Rockley Sands Holiday Park / Palladium Bar, Hamworthy, Poole
Opened in 1956, Rockley Sands Caravan Park covered over 600 acres at its peak. The Palladium Bar (photograph below) opened in the early sixties and became a regular gig in the summer calendar for groups to play to disinterested, sozzled holidaymakers and overactive kids. At was a good insight into a musicians lot later in life when entertaining similar audiences in social clubs.
Sandacres, 3 Banks Road, Sandbanks, Poole
Popular pub and music venue in Sandbanks that dealt mainly in cocktail jazz, MoR combos and a regular gig for the gravelly voiced folk singer Pete Franklin. The upper floors used to be part of the Sandacres Hotel but are now apartments, the ground floor, which was the bar, is now a Tesco Express.
Santa Fe Club, The Northwick Hotel, 18 Owls Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth
The Northwick Hotel was home to the Santa Fe Club, but was sold in 1970 and is now Northwick House, a residential retirement home run by the Boscombe Rotary and Inner Wheel Housing Association.
Shipwright’s Arms, West Quay Road, Pool
Situated on the Hamworthy side of the old Poole lifting bridge, the Shipwrights Arms was a popular scrumpy pub and another regular gig for the folk singer Pete Franklin. People also came from far and wide for the lively jazz sessions in the basement. In 1974 cracks began to appear in the walls and the foundations were checked for subsidence. Three years later the pub became unsafe and had to be demolished.
S&S Club / Starlight Club / Jumpers Tavern / Sinatra’s / The G Spot, The Grove, Jumpers Corner, Christchurch
The Candlelight Club (not to be confused with the club of the same name at the Imperial Hotel in the Lansdowne) opened in the early sixties as an intimate drinking club and jazz venue. It became a hangout for pop groups in the mid-sixties when it was called the S&S Club and then the Starlight Club. A couple of years later it was home to a popular singles club (grab a Granny night). Over the years it has been a haunt for bikers, a rock club and in 1999, as the G Spot (see photograph below sent in by Howard Cutler), a club with problems, as it finally lost it’s licence over noise and nuisance issues. In 2010 it was demolished and replaced by an apartment block (see below).
St Aldhems Church Hall, 401 Poole Road, Parkstone, Poole
Another church hall commandeered for gigs during the early to mid-sixties. Now a multi-purpose community centre, ongoing entertainment hub and a venue to hire for private parties and events.
St. Andrews Hall, 4C Wolverton Road, Bournemouth
St. Andrews hall became a regular stop off on the gig circuit for a short period during 1963. It is currently occupied by a toddlers day nursery.
St. Saviours Church Hall, 32 Colmore Road, Iford, Bournemouth
Yet another church hall taking a gamble on live music to make some income.
Staccato Club, Antelope Hotel, High Street, Poole
Although it is a subject of contention, the Antelope Inn claims to be the oldest pub in Poole as the first licence granted to the premises was recorded in 1666. English Heritage date the building from the fifteenth century but it is possible it replaced a previous structure. It has been said that Sir Walter Tyrrell stayed at an Inn which has possibly been identified as the Antelope, before fleeing to France in 1100 after accidently slaying King William II (also know as Rufus) with a stray arrow while hunting in the New Forest. In the nineteenth century a brick frontage and upstairs was added and the the Inn became a hotel. In the sixties the Antelope Hotel was home to the short-lived Staccato Club. It is still trading today.
Stokewood Road Baths, Stokewood Road, Bournemouth
Stokewood Road Baths opened in 1930 at a cost of £40,000 to build. During the winter months, the water was drained and a sprung wooden floor was fitted over the pool which transformed the building into a dance hall. At the rear of the pool a stage was erected for bands and singers to perform on. By the mid fifties the pool operated all year round, but sporadic dances were still common place up until the early sixties in a function room upstairs. After a fire in 1967, the baths were modernised with new changing facilities added. The building is now a leisure centre with a pool and gym operated by BHLiveactive.
Swinging Clink / Pandora’s / Cromwell’s, 671 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth
The Swinging Clink was a club situated over Barratts shoe store, next to Times Furnishing’s and two doors down from the Carlton Cinema in Christchurch Road, Boscombe. It was so called because it was small, dark and decorated like an old prison. The club opened on 28th March 1969 with a gig by Renaissance Fare, The Prayer of Hades and the folk singer Liz Biddle. In the early seventies it became a skinhead hangout attracted by the ska, reggae and Motown records spun by the resident DJ. In 1972 it was renamed Pandora’s, a sleazy night club that hosted the odd rock band in between striptease artists and drag acts and then Cromwell’s before its closure in the mid-seventies. It is now a private apartment above a convenience store (see below).
Talbot Hotel, 559 Wimborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth
Dating from he 1890s, the Talbot Hotel began hosting groups in July 1972. The pub has suffered from noise complaints, a high turn over of management and rowdiness over the years. It is now vacant awaiting a new owner or redevelopment.
Tempo Club, Pinewood Hotel, Tricketts Cross, Ferndown
The Pinewood Hotel was owned by the Dickenson family. John Dickenson played organ in the Shy Limbs with Greg Lake and later with King Harry who released a lone album in 1977. The hall and bar in the hotel was used as a rehearsal room for John’s bands and for a short time in the late sixties was home to the Tempo Club. The Pinewood was demolished to make way for housing many years ago.
Top Twenty Club, Town Hall, St. Stephens Road, Bournemouth
Opened in 1885 as the palatial Hotel Mont Dore, it only traded for thirty years as the hotel was requisitioned in 1914 by the War Office for use as a military hospital. In 1919 the corporation bought the building and converted it into the Bournemouth Town Hall, opening in 1921. To the rear, in St. Stephens Road ,was the grand hall which was used for various events and functions including gigs in the late fifties, sixties and seventies. For a short while it was known as the Top Twenty Club. Eventually the hall was torn down and replaced by a smart new office block.
Tuckton Tea Gardens, Tuckton, Christchurch
Originally known as Tuckton Creeks, the first business to be set up in the early 1900s offered return boat trips to Mudeford with refreshments included. After a number of people drowned from boats sinking, the business was taken over in 1919 and a pavilion was erected serving afternoon teas and light lunches, along with rowing boat and canoe hire. In the mid-sixties the Tuckton Tea Gardens sporadically hosted gigs in the summer months. The Tea Gardens are still a popular destination in the summer months for refreshments and boat hire.
Westover Ice Rink, 29-39 Westover Road, Bournemouth
The Westover Ice Rink was built in 1930 above Westover Motors by the showrooms owner, Major Sharp. In the mid-sixties the managing director, John Neal, contracted groups to play for the skaters as they glided over the ice. The first group to play their was The Dowlands and the Soundtracks on 22nd November 1963. The gigs would cease during the summer months to make way for the hugely popular Ice Follies. By 1983 the future of the rink was in doubt, however, Chipperfields Circus stepped in and hosted a ten week show which the management hoped would secure its future, but it wasn’t to be. After numerous petitions and protests, the rink finally closed in 1991 and stood empty for twenty five years, before it was gutted and re-opened as a gym.
Wheelhouse / Number Ten Club, Wooton Mount, Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth
Opened in August 1963 by the national organisation, Youth Ventures Ltd., the aim of the Wheelhouse was to provide a space for young people to congregate and socialise. Consisting of a coffee shop, a games room, a hairdressing and beauty salon, a motorcycle workshop and large dance hall with stage, the Wheelhouse opened as a venue on Monday 9th September 1963 with Dave La Kaz and the G Men. In 1966 it was taken over by the Bournemouth Corporation and re-branded the Number Ten Club on Saturday 17th December with a gig by The Bossmen. However, it reverted back to the Wheelhouse on 15th September 1967 with The Palmer James Group and The Bossmen again, plus a personal appearance by Frankie Vaughan. In 1981 the lease ran out and the Wheelhouse, which was now predominately a bikers club, moved to the crypt of St. Peters church until the club folded in 1989. The original site was eventually demolished and replaced by an apartment block.
White Hart, 61 Barrack Road Christchurch
Home to a folk club in the mid sixties. The former pub is now an apartment block (see below).
Winkton Lodge Hotel, Salisbury Road, Winkton, Christchurch
A hotel out in the sticks north of Christchurch that regularly hosted live music throughout the Sixties. The property has been converted into private apartments.
Woodlands Hall / Woodlands Ballroom, 485 Ashley Road, Poole
Opened in March 1934 by the then leader of the opposition Major Clement Atlee as a rallying place for the Poole Labour Party, the Woodlands Hall is a two story building with a club house and bar downstairs and a large ballroom with high stage and bar upstairs. The Woodland first put on groups downstairs in 1962 before opening the much larger upstairs room as the Woodlands Ballroom on 8th April 1964 with Duke D’Mond and the Baron Knights and Eddie Stevens and the Valiants. It is now owned by the Parkstone Trades and Labour Club.
YMCA, 1-7 Jameson Road, Winton, Bournemouth
Built in 1928 with a large stage and hall, the YMCA became a community hub for the Winton area and a venue for regular Sunday concerts. During the war the hall was used as a billet for up to five hundred soldiers and the headquarters for the local fore service. During the sixties the hall was sporadically used for live music, but not as often as the main YMCA in Westover Road. The YMCA hall is still in constant use and is home to the Christian radio station Hope FM.
Youth clubs were popular in the fifties and sixties as safe places for kids to play games and socialise instead of hanging around street corners causing a nuisance. From my experience they were also places where you could put in some serious time learning how to smoke fags without throwing up, fraternise with the opposite sex and cajole one of the older boys, still underage, but with the feintest of five o’clock shadow’s, to buy cheap cider from the local off-licence. A lot of youth clubs hired groups once a month, usually on a Friday or Saturday night, so as not to clash with school days. For me, East Howe Youth Club was where I fell in love with loud, live, rock music.
Catacombs Youth Club Club, Sacred Heart Church Hall, 1 Albert Road, Bournemouth
The original Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart was built in 1874 but greatly enlarged in 1898. It became a Grade 2 listed building in 1974. The Catacomb Youth Club Club was in the basement of the church, entry through the door on the corner of the church just to the right of the red car (top photograph). A young Tony Hancock also honed his comedy routine on the same stage in 1940, but it was deemed to risque for the mainly pious audience and a large portion of them walked out. It was an experience he would never forget as Tony cleaned up his act for his next performance.
East Cliff Youth Club, East Cliff United Reform Church, Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth
Most Youth Clubs were either affiliated with churches or schools.
East Howe Youth Club, Hadow Road, Kinson, Bournemouth
Archimedes Principle seen here playing at the East Howe Youth Club circa 1967. The club operated in the assembly hall of East Howe Secondary Modern Girls School and in an adjacent room that had a coffee bar and lounge area. The school was renamed the Bourne Academy in 2010.
Embassy Youth Club, Brassey Road, Winton
The Embassy Youth Club flourished during the sixties, becoming a hub for the youth of Winton and Moordown to gather, socialise and play sports. During the Beat Boom groups played regularly at the weekends including Unit 4, Greg Lake’s first band.
Henry Brown Youth Social Centre, Cunningham Crescent, West Howe, Bournemouth
Sugar ‘n’ Spice (above) play Henry Brown, a regular stop off on the youth club circuit. An early version of Bram Stoker used Henry Brown as a rehearsal space. Their bass player at the time, the former member of The Shadows Jet Harris, apparently rode a horse into the hall and ruined the parquet floor.
The Lagland Boys Club, Lagland Street, Poole
The venue where a young John Wetton saw a rough-arsed r&b band called The Classics and had a re-think on his musical future.
Moordown Congregational Church Youth Club, Priory View Road, Bournemouth
The Interlects, seen here playing in the Moordown church hall in 1964, were formed by members of the club.
Oakdale Boys Club, Learoyd Road, Poole
The Oakdale Boys Club hosted gigs and was the rehearsal space for Transit Sound who morphed into Spontaneous Combustion in 1970. Greg Lake who lived a stones throw away, also played their many times with his early groups Unit 4 and The Time Checks. The huts have now been demolished and replaced by housing.
Oakmead Youth Club, Duck Lane, West Howe, Bournemouth
Oakmead Youth Club utilised a hall and club room within Oakmead school. In the 1960s the school was home to a very successful brass band that won many awards in its lifetime. The band disbanded in early 2012 when the school became an Academy.
Pokesdown Youth Club, Stourvale Road, Bournemouth
Pokesdown Youth Club became infamous for a mass fainting in 1968 at a gig by The Mystic Tangent. Apparently the combination of loud music, strobe lighting and the excessive heat caused a small number of the teenagers to collapse, with half a dozen girls needing hospital treatment. The story spread far and wide and attracted the attention of the national dailies.
Somerford Youth Club, Bingham Road, Christchurch
Another stop off on the youth club circuit. Still standing and still a youth centre.
St. Andrews Youth Club, Bennett Road, Charminster, Bournemouth
The Youth Club was run from the hall of of St. Andrews in Charminster, an Anglican church.
St. Georges Youth Club, Darby’s Lane, Oakdale, Poole
The Youth Club was attached to St Georges, a Church of England church built in 1960.
Southbourne Methodist Youth Club, Wesley Hall, Southbourne Road, Bournemouth
Summerbee Youth Club, Summerbee School, Mallard Road, Bournemouth
Summerbee Youth Club was sited in Summerbee School where a teenage Andy Summers of The Police was educated. It is now an academy school called Bishop of Winchester.
New Church Youth Club, Tuckton Road, Southbourne, Bournemouth
Venues of Note Further Afield:
Chequers Inn, 75 High Street, Lytchett Matravers
The Chequers Inn possibly dates back as far as the fifteenth century and has been run as an inn, a restaurant and in the sixties and seventies became a very popular music venue.
Corn Exchange, High Street, Blandford
The Corn Exchange has stood in the main square of Blandford since 1734. Over the past three hundred years it has had many uses but in the sixties it was utilised as a music venue.
Chords Club, The Malt Loft, Emsworth Road, Lymington
The Chords Club was originally opened by Dave Burningham in the mid-sixties at St. Thomas’ parish hall before it moved to the Malt Loft in Emsworth Road in 1969. The clubs biggest claim to fame occured on 31st May 1969 when the Northern Irish band Eire Apparent turned up to play with Jimi Hendrix in tow. At the time he was producing their album Sunrise and happened to have a night off from the Experience. Other famous names to play at the club included Rod Stewart, Elton John, Manfred Mann and Eric Clapton. Dave is also good friends with Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones.
Ossemsley Manor, New Milton
Built in 1908 as a private house, the manor was sold to Harold Walker, chairman of Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club, in the fifties and was run as a country club throughout the sixties and seventies by the professional golfer Ernest ‘Bunny’ Millward. After its closure in the mid-sixties, the management team moved onto the Ridge Hotel in Bransgore where they opened the Cuckoo Club. It has since been converted into private apartments.
Regal Cinema, Market Place, Ringwood
Built in 1868 as a corn exchange, the building was converted into a picture palace in 1914. In 1959 it ceased trading as a full-time cinema and became a theatre and music venue up until its closure in 1972. Since then it has been used as a shopping arcade but is now boarded up awaiting a decision on its future. Below, a busy night at the Regal.
Steering Wheel Club, High Street, Dorchester
A popular stop off in the south for bands in the sixties. Was managed by Sam Fowler. It is now private premises.
Steering Wheel Club, 7 Maiden Street, Weymouth
Originally a taxi drivers social club, the venue was taken over by teenagers in the mid-sixties and run as a music venue by Norman Cheeseman. The building is still trading as a bar called Actors.
Sidney Hall, Newstead Road, Weymouth
Opened on 18th April 1900, the Sidney Groves Memorial Hall was originally used by the Church Lads Brigade. The small hall to the side and rear was used as a drill hall and as a live music venue in the sixties. The large main hall had many uses during its lifetime including a hospital during the war, a school, a roller skating rink, a boxing venue, a bingo hall and a theatre. In 1987 it was bulldozed to make way for an Asda supermarket.
Weymouth Pavilion, The Esplanade, Weymouth
Originally built in 1908, the Pavilion was commandeered for military use during the second world war. In 1947 it was handed back to the council and renamed The Ritz until it was destroyed by a fire in 1956. The Pavilion was rebuilt in 1958 and re-opened as a theatre and ballroom. It is still in use as a venue for variety shows, pantomimes and the odd rock and pop gig to this day.
White Buck Inn, Bisterne Close, Burley
Converted from a private house into the Holmehurst Hotel in 1957 by the Loose family, the premises became a pub and a venue for live music called the White Buck Inn in the summer of 1964. Mainly a gig for local bands, however some famous names such as Lonnie Donegan, Billy Fury, Billy J. Kramer, Don Partridge, The Nashville Teens, Screaming Lord Sutch and The Swinging Blue Jeans all graced it’s stage. It is still a popular watering hole and restaurant.